Beth Hamedrash Hagadol Anshe Ungarn Synagogue
Before this building became the co-op apartments that stand here today, it was a synagogue known as the Great House of Study of the People of Hungary, or Beth Hamedrash Hagadol Anshe Ungarn. In 1908, when the congregation purchased the property, the brick house that used to be here was refurbished as their synagogue which sat 500 people. Later in the twentieth century, as Jewish residents left the area, many of the religious buildings remained empty and eventually closed. However, the congregation maintained this structure until 1975. The building was sold to a developer in 1984, who turned the synagogue into co-op apartments. We were glad to find out that in 2007 it was designated as a landmark building, and that the Hebrew name remains etched above the arched wooden doorway.